Skip to main content

Wednesday Hodgepodge



This week's theme for Wednesday Hodgepodge is all about Fall! It is most definitely my favorite season!

It's fall, Y'all. My favorite season of the year! What's something you love to do this time of year that makes you feel it's officially fall? And unrelated to that, do you ever say "ya'll"?

I burn those pumpkin spice candles and make lots of pumpkin muffins, breads and cookies. I also break out the boots. I love to wear boots!! We aren't big "ya'll" speakers here in Missouri, but I do catch myself saying it every once in a while. Must be all those years of living in Oklahoma.

When did you last have a "falling out" with someone? Has it been resolved?

In 2009 I had a falling out with my best friend in Oklahoma. I felt betrayed by her during one of the most difficult times of my life. We parted ways. I ran into her a year or so later and she wanted to pick back up with our friendship. But I just didn't think our friendship could ever be the same. I just knew I could never trust her again. We haven't talked since that conversation.

A song you love with the word 'fall' in its title.

I love the song "Falling Slowly", especially the version sung by Kris Allen from American Idol. It gives me chills.



What's something you've recently let 'fall by the wayside'?

Definitely exercise. I am having the hardest time getting up any earlier than I already do. And we are so busy in the evenings that we don't get any exercise done then, either. And, if I don't have anything to do on some evening, all I want to do is relax. My body is feeling it, too.

When did you last attend an event, read a book, watch a movie, try a new recipe, or visit a shop-town-tourist attraction that fell short of your expectations? In what way?

This happens to me most often when reading books. I will hear several people say how great a book is and then when I read it I just feel let down. That recently happened with the book If I Stay by Gayle Foreman. And then Dawson and Taylar went to see it at the movies and said it was so horrible they almost left about 30 minutes into the movie.

Describe a time you said or thought, "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

I don't know that I actually say that phrase or think it specifically, but I do look at parents and children and can't believe that anyone wonders why children behave the way that they do.

Was today better than yesterday? Why or why not?

I would say no. Yesterday was good, just different than today. I was going non-stop all day long yesterday and today was spent mostly at home. But both days were fulfilling and full of good stuff. The only real difference is that last night I was going until bedtime and tonight I am getting to sit and watch some Once Upon a Time and Revenge on Netflix.

Insert your own random thought here.

We are having fun with wedding planning and are right on schedule! We met with the photographer last night to discuss engagement pictures and show her the wedding venue, and today we made arrangements for the cake and cupcakes. We have the dress, bridesmaids dresses picked out, and other minor decisions made. Save-the-dates should be happening soon and invitations ordered. Like I said, having fun!

Comments

  1. We are mid-wedding planning here too and it's been mostly fun : ) My daughter gets married 100 days from today! I'm getting really excited now, the big things are booked and we're into the fun little details that make the day personal. One of my friends is hosting a shower in a couple of weeks and I can't wait for that. Enjoy the planning and best wishes to the soon-to-be marrieds!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a