Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-up ~ Go for the Gold!


This week marks our first week of school for the 2012-2013 school year. We are easing into it, especially since we are starting in the middle of summer and because Eli is joining us this year. I didn't want to overwhelm him with all of our usual daily activities, so we are starting out with a definite Delight-Directed unit on the Olympics with some math review and reading. It has been a pleasant week with lots of good work and lots of fun. I have been very impressed with the positive attitudes of my two little students. Even though we only do about 2-3 hours of school work a day, I have found them spending the majority of their free time playing Stack the States or Minecraft on the iPad. They have built some pretty impressive structures on Minecraft. Then they begged me for Stack the Countries, and have been begging me for months, so I thought this would be a great time to do it with the Olympics.

Here is our week in Collage form.


1. For the first day of school, Eli and Brynne drew themselves to decorate the fronts of their unit study binders.

2. They made gold medals with oven-baked clay painted a shimmery gold.

3. We did lots of Olympics literacy and math activities from 15 Summer Olympics Math and Literacy Activities. It was my Favorite Resource this Week.

4. For our Olympics torch, the kids painted three sheets of aluminum foil red, orange, and yellow. Then we crumbled it up together and stuck it inside a rolled up piece of brown construction paper. It will stay "lit" on our entertainment center until the conclusion of the Closing Ceremony.

5. For our read-a-loud, we are reading Geronimo and the Gold Medal Mystery from the Geronimo Stilton series.

6. Brynne and Eli also made Olympics t-shirts by stamping rings with toilet paper tubes and paint. Then they personalized their shirts.

Other than school work, I am working on packing up all of our homeschool supplies to move to our new house. Even though we will be spending the next several weeks (or months) renovating the house, we will still be doing our school work every day in the midst of the mess.

I will be participating in a couple of different blog hops soon:

The 5 Days of Blogging ~ Back to Homeschool Blog Hop by the Schoolhouse Review Crew.


and the 4th Annual "Not" Back-to-School Blog Hop by iHomeschool Network.


During those weeks I will share our curriculum, methods, schedules, school room, and more. Hopefully we will be settled enough by then for me to share it all with you.

Join Kris at Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers for her Weekly Wrap-up Linky, and Mary at Homegrown Learners for her Collage Friday Linky. I am also linking up with Susan's Favorite Resource this Week Linky at Learning All the Time.




Comments

  1. Hi Nicole - we are doing the Olympics unit study, too -- this coming week is our first official week back. I hope I'm ready!

    I'm excited for you to start renovations on your home - a blank slate sounds full of promise!

    Love the kids' t-shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like another great week. So much excitement in your life!

    I am looking forward to participating in the blog hops. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I behind? Everyone starting school so early? Thanks for sharing your resources.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful start to the school year! All the best with you upcoming move!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're moving AND teaching at the same time? How are you not going insane?!!

    I love the Olympics themed activities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great week! The Olympics are such a perfect starting point for so much learning :) Thanks for sharing your Olympics resources and linking up at Favorite Resources.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nicole! Your kids look so happy in the photos together, I think you're all going to have a great time homeschooling together. I look forward to reading updates on your big move and house renovations...and schooling all the while. Kudos to your family for making changes to lead the lifestyle you want. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all the fun Olympic learning this week!! My girls have been wanting Stack the Countries too...you are right about the timing being perfect right now with the Olympics going on. I should get it for them:)

    Blessings to you as you move, remodel, and homeschool!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a